Trowbridge is the County town of Wiltshire. We have a growing population of over 40,000 residents and a retail/services catchment of over 70,000. It is estimated that these numbers will grow by a further 20,000 in the coming years with the ongoing development of the local area.
Historically Trowbridge was a proud, working class town built around the wool industry, but when the mills moved out of the town new factories emerged to provide meat products and beds quickly becoming the main employers of the town.
And now, Trowbridge is benefiting from multiple developments in the leisure and retail sectors, including a 7-screen cinema, restaurants and an 80-bed hotel which opened last year in St Stephens Place, alongside the new state of the art Civic Centre, Trowbridge is clearly stepping up to the requirements of the growing population.
The Trowbridge Town Team recognises the importance of working with partners across both the public and private sectors to deliver new opportunities, and would like to hear from anybody who has an idea and would like to play a part in the future development of Wiltshire’s County Town – helping us deliver a town that is vibrant, resilient, community based and a home town we can all be proud of.
In 2011 a specific group, The Trowbridge County Town Initiative was established to drive the improvement of the historic core of the town which had suffered from the withdrawal of larger retailers to the retail parks on the town centre fringes.
From this a working group, The Trowbridge Town Team was created and charged with bringing the heart and soul back into the historical town.
Projects under development include:
- Outdoor Markets & Events – providing a range of locally sourced products, street food and entertainment, complementing the existing indoor market in Castle Place.
- Environment – enhancements that reflect the magnificence of many historic buildings, including the Town Hall at the heart of the Town.
- Access – improving pedestrian routes for residents to access the town and all it has to offer.
- Partnership – The Trowbridge Town Team are pleased to work with various other community groups including, Trowbridge Chamber of Commerce, Transforming Trowbridge, The Town and County Councils, The Arts Council, Collaborative Schools and others.
- Business Improvement District (BID) – The Trowbridge Town Team together with partners has committed funding for a feasibility study to be carried out to determine the viability of a BID for the County Town.
To get in touch with a member of the Trowbridge Town Team please visit the Contact Us page.
Trowbridge Town Team is supported by the ATCM – Association for Town and City Management | Town Teams Programme following successful application to become Town Team Partners.